Sunday, November 29, 2009

Break Over

Well, I'm back at university, about to settle in for three killer weeks of studying and finals.  Boo.

On a positive note, I did a TON of baking yesterday to make up for my lack of it on Friday.  I also happened to make the world’s best grilled cheese sandwich. I got the recipe from an insert in a package of Sargento Mozzarella Cheese.

The World’s Best Grilled Cheese Sandwich

There’s not really a specific recipe for this, you know using measurements and everything.  However, you will need PER SANDWICH

Two slices of really great mozzarella, the kind that comes in a block or a knot.  Not the shreds.  If you can, get the whole milk kind.

Two slices of tomato

Some mayo

Some butter

Assemble the sandwiches by slathering the pieces of bread with the mayo, then add the slices of tomato and mozzarella.  Set aside. 

Melt about a tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium heat.

112909 Upload 013

When it just starts to brown, add the sandwich.  It should sizzle when it hits the pan. 

When that side is brown, flip and brown the other side, making sure that the cheese gets all melt-y and lovely.

Lastly, enjoy the world’s best grilled cheese.

112909 Upload 016

On the baking side of things, I made Joy the Baker’s S’mores Brownies.

112909 Upload 019 112909 Upload 022

I also baked my first apple pie, although it wasn’t from scratch.  I feel a little ashamed.  Regardless, it was really great.

112909 Upload 020

That thing in the middle is a homemade pie bird.  It vents the steam from the bottom of the pie, so the bottom crust doesn’t get mushy.

I also made my mom’s cheese straws.  However, in the process, I screwed up the beaters of her 30 year old stand up mixer.

112909 Upload 025

I was using a rubber spatula to push the dough toward the beaters, and I guess I misjudged the distance.  Thus, twisted beaters.

To top it all off, I made some more of those amazing blueberry muffins.  However, I got hasty and didn’t let the blueberries thaw thoroughly.  So, they overflowed and fell in the middle.  Regardless, they still tasted wonderful, despite looking like purple blobs.

Here’s a pre-baking picture.  I should have known then what was to come.

112909 Upload 017

On a completely non-food note, I had to leave my new kitten at home with my parents for the next three weeks until I transfer back home.  This saddens me greatly.  I got back to my apartment at university and found kitten formula in the fridge from when I rescued him two weeks ago.

Here he is when I first rescued him.

Schrodinger...Oliver 001

And here is a picture from today, right before I headed back to the university.  I apologize for the blurriness.  He rarely sits still.

112909 Upload 026   

He’s already noticeably bigger.  They grow up so fast, don’t they?

No comments:

Post a Comment